Chris's Reviews > A Fire Upon the Deep

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Jul 03, 13

bookshelves: lib-emory, e-book, sci-fi
Read in May, 2013

It's hard to choose which part to praise first, the space odyssey or the unique and well-written alien race.

The galaxy is a big place, and this book does a good job of helping you realize just how big it is. Starting with the loss of a multi-planet human colony, the scale of the impending apocalypse just gets larger and larger. My benchmark for "impressively massive destruction" is now much higher than it was before.

But the galaxy-wide story is interpolated with a much more personal struggle. I loved the introduction of the Tines, an alien race that is both familiar and very strange. One of my very favorite parts of this book was finally figuring out the nature of the Tines, so I suggest diving in without an explanation or synopsis from other fans/reviews.

There are other big ideas here, and they all feed questions to each other. Those ideas carried the story for me, even when it got a little slow or melodramatic. I highly recommend this book, and plan to read more of Vinge's work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fire Upon the Deep.

06/01/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanna (new) - added it

Jeanna I love the idea of having a "benchmark for 'impressively massive destruction'"! :)