Preeti's Reviews > If You Ask Me: And of Course You Won't

If You Ask Me by Betty White

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: memoir, humor
Read from January 19 to 21, 2012

I love Betty White. Unfortunately I missed her birthday special recently so instead, I watched a ton of Youtube videos of her, in current and old roles, on Inside the Actors Studio, on old game shows, etc.

This book was a short, cute read about her life, written in 2011. It was a very quick read but I really felt myself wanting more. I wanted more substance as well as more of her humor in the writing, and while there is some, it fell short of my expectations. That's probably the problem: my expectations.

I am glad I read this though - it definitely gives you a window into White's mind. She is an amazing, inspiring woman, still going strong at 90. If I could have even half of her energy I'd be happy!

Some of my favorite parts/quotes:
[Advice given to Betty from her mother, something we could all use:]
"Bets, you can lie to anyone in the world and even get away with it, perhaps, but when you are alone and look into your own eyes in the mirror, you can’t sidestep the truth. Always be sure you can meet those eyes directly. Otherwise, it’s big trouble, my girl."

Okay, so I’m weird. At least I am in good company.

[This is something I'd say:]
The trainer, whose name is Dennis Christian, asked if I would like to meet their beluga whales. How is that for the silliest question ever?

[Flashes of her humor:]
All my life, even as a kid, I have preferred men older than I am. Unfortunately, today I don’t think there is anyone older than I am! Even at this age, once in a while I meet a man who seems a trifle more interesting than usual. Nothing untoward—just someone who might be fun to know a little better. I’ve even thought (to myself) that it might be nice if he asked me to lunch or dinner, perhaps. Then reality kicks in and it cracks me up. This guy is probably a much younger man—maybe only eighty—and not about to even look my way.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Ask Me.

01/19/2012