Sam Oxby's Reviews > March

March by Geraldine Brooks

Jan 21, 2012

liked it
Read from January 19 to 21, 2012

I rather enjoyed March as a historical fiction book. The copy I read had an interview in the back of the book stating that Brooks had purposefully kept away from any overlap with the original story of Alcott's 'Little Women', which I think very thoughtful and proper of Brooks, and therefore I believe it gave us a further insight into the already familiar March family.

I loved the change of narrative perspective at the beginning of the second part. I suppose as the first half of the book is more than two-thirds of the work, I wasn't prepared for the change of main character narrative, from a first hand account from Mr. March, to that of Mrs. March. It surprised me but in a very good way! I feel that this change of perspective really helps to ground, and balance the book too.

I also think that by having this contrast of narrative, the book acts as a perfect example of the differences in thought process between men and women. Particularly the miscommunication over the body language of Mrs. March as Mr. March gives his spurring talk upon the log to the young soldiers going out to war, in which he thinks her raising of the arms is to encourage him to go, and for her it was to symbolise the absolute opposite opinion!

I am glad that in today's day and age we have much less social expectations placed on us, as to what may and may not be openly expressed - so we can explain outright when someone gets the wrong end of the stick!

Overall, a good read, and a book that looks at one man's inner demons having sacrificed staunch moral practice for what appeared the greater good. Thought provoking on the issues of pacifism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read March.