Oceana2602's Reviews > Der Klang der Zeit

Jul 07, 08

bookshelves: 2008, unfinished, german, male-writers
Read in July, 2008

Important Service Announcement:

I read the first 100 or something pags of this yesterday and decided not to continue.
*does not panic*
*breathes*

Yes, I can start a book and not finish it! It hasn't happened very often, in fact, I can't remember that it ever happened, but I'm convinced I can do it. It also helps that this is my mothers book, so I can give it back to her and not be tempted.

Why don't I finish it?

Well, it's a very very long book. And in the first 100 pages, the important ones where all the characters (as far as I know it's all of them, there are probably more later) are introduced, I didn't relate to anything. I didn't particularly like the family of Jonah and his brother, I wasn't at all interested in them or their life, and I really didn't care much what happened to them later. Or before, Or at all.

So, the decision was: should I continue to read 600 more pages about a family I'm not in the least bit interested in, or should I move on to one of the other 99,9 books that are lying here on my shelves, waiting to be read.

And then it came to me: no matter how much time I spent reading, I will never be able to read all the books that are and have and will be written. It's simply not possible.
I will not even be able to read all the books I would LIKE to read.

I knew that, of course, somewhere in the back of my mind, but it's a painful admission and I rather not think about it.

Still, as painful as it is, it is true. So the wise decision is to spent my time reading the books I want to read, good or bad.

"Der Klang der Zeit" (The Time of Our Singing) is not one of them.

Instead, I have moved on to Nadine Gordimer.

//End of Important Service Announcement
*still tries not to panic*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Der Klang der Zeit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

teri I felt the same way. I"m slogging through because it's for a book group, and desperately wishing I liked it more...