Jen Fabico's Reviews > Heaven

Heaven by Mur Lafferty

May 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-50-book-pledge, adventure, fantasy, favourites, series-collection, spirituality
Read from May 02 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy

Book number 24 to my 2012 Reading Challenge is Heaven by Mur Lafferty. Heaven is the first installment of the series also entitled Heaven, which consists of five parts. This series cannot be found in a physical novel format; however, can be downloaded as a podiobook.

Several years ago, in 2008, even before my husband and I were engaged, my husband strongly recommended this podiobook to me. After listening to two or three "seasons" himself, he continuously urged me to give it a try, guaranteeing that I would love it --especially the part about dog heaven. At the time, I brushed him off, snootily stating over and over again that my preference was to visit real books, ones with little more physicality. It was not until our long drive from Toronto to Mont Tremblanc that I finally open up to the idea. After listening to the first episode, I was immediately addicted to Mur Lafferty's story telling and characters.

This year, I decided to finish up the series and listen to the fifth installment. Upon listening to it in my car, I realized that I no longer knew any of the associating characters. So here I am at the starting point once again and enjoying myself just as much as I did the first time around.

Heaven divulges on a story about two best friends, Kate and Daniel, who die at the young age of 24. And that it just the beginning. Luckily, both end up in heaven and they learned that heaven isn't all that it is cracked up to be ...and ironically, there are some parts that are exactly the way that priests and religious figures from Earth describe it. They wander through several heavens from different religions as travelers. Little does Kate know, they are on a mission from God --a specific mission that only they can be en-tasked with.

My favourite part in the book is the section about (view spoiler)

Mur Lafferty is creative in her adventures and allows the reader to really empathize with the fictional characters. She reads her work with much care so one could really understand where Mur was coming from as she wrote it. And within all of the adventure and affection, Mur adds several bits of quirky humour.

Overall, I am giving this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I'm very excited to read/listen to the next installment Hell and get used to the characters and the story again.

Until next time!

JFab
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven.

05/02/2012
50.0% "I was listening to it while driving home today. When it got to the part where Kate had to leave Jet, I had tears streaming down my face. My sight was blurry for nearly 10 minutes and I truly contemplated on pulling over to stop. It's amazing how one can get so empathetic with fictional characters. LOVE this audio book so far! :)"
05/03/2012
50.0% "I have not visited this book for about 3 years, perhaps even more. I enjoyed it then but revisiting it after such a long time is like coming home: you are vaguely familiar of your surroundings but everything is just as unexpected as if it were the first meet."
05/03/2012
90.0% "I forget how diversely this book explores the areas of religion. I'm intrigued by the theories and the actualities. This is definitely not how I remembered it from several years ago but it's a fun ride nevertheless!"