Frank's Reviews > Digital Fortress: A Thriller

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

M_50x66
Jan 19, 12

Recommended for: No one.

Ahh, Dan Brown. Either you love him and hate him.

And I hate him. I really really do. I read a single book and had problems with it and found out that it's true of most of his books.

Digital Fortress sounded like it might be a cool technology thriller. And it is, at times. But much of the work doesn't stand up if you ever worked in the field. He has these illustrious ideas of what secret hidden areas of the government would look like. Super cool futuristic sci fi images.

It's not true. Server farms are dull as crap, and processing power isn't sexy to anyone but a nerd, but when you try to make it sexy, people might respond but it turns off "the nerd". I understand people who rage over the incorrect parts of the Da Vinci Code, because it's the same in this book, if you know the topic you find the writer to have no experience with it. Just jargon and hypothesis which has no basis in reality.

But the true problem of Dan Brown is he writes pop fiction. And not pop fiction for people who like books, but pop fiction for people who don't like books, and want to feel smart for reading. If you ever delved into a 400 page tome, excited for the experience and a chance to explore a new world, skip this book. It's not for "Readers" it's for "book clubs".

That is the problem but the indicators for it are everywhere. Chapters are 2-3 pages. When a good writer just has made a solid connection to the current chapter and starts drawing the reader into the mindset, Dan Brown's are over. Like that person? Time for someone new.

The biggest sin though is the beginning of the book starts with interesting descriptions decent sized chapters, but by the end, you get two page synopsis of stuff that's happening. Chases are hard to follow because the writer feels the need to use flowery language to describe the locations it is happening in rather than the chase itself, and when the reader is just trying to be in the moment of the character being chased, 2 pages later, you're back out of the the chase, 4 more pages (2 different chapters) , you back in the chase. It's extremely disorienting, and completely ruins anything positive about the book.

Overall this is a book that I prefer not to remember, but sadly it's poor quality sticks in my brain more than it really should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Fortress.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Liana Garza I think saying this book is for book clubs is giving it too much justice. This book is awful.