Adelle's Reviews > Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back

Free Ride by Robert Levine

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from January 19 to 23, 2012

Interesting. I picked it up at the library because I saw it there the same day the anti-SOPA [Stop Online Piracy Act} protest went viral. The author makes a compelling case that Google and other tech companies push for doing away with copyright laws because the tech companies are selling technology...and cheap or free use of content benefits them. But, the author argues, the true cost of content isn't the delivery system...it's the creativity and research and work that goes into writing songs or books or movies.... And if there is no longer a financial reason to create.... Then there will be less and less important content being produced.

What a conundrum. I certainly don't want the government closing down sites ... I don't want us to live in a country that can easily censor sites... And yet I also want the people who write books and music and produce movies to be compensated. I want copywrite laws to be enforced.

It's going to be a tricksy task for Congress and the courts.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Ride.