Tanja Berg's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: horror, zombies
Read from January 19 to 21, 2012

I'm not very keen on zombies. I've seen a few movies, but I've never read a book about them. I'm glad I picked this book, because this book isn't so much about zombies but about humanity - or the lack there of - in the face of apocalypse. The book sets out to cronichle the zombie war and there are many and varied voices. The "author" is in the background, asking questions or wanting to clarify every now and then. It all feels very authentic and the horror feels real.

At first it is just called "rabies". Reports of living dead are not believe. What virus would first kill and then reanimate the corpse to infect more? Out of a virus perspective, this would be highly advantageous. Normally viruses just die with their hosts, effectively elminating their own breeding ground. Only when the disease has reached plague proportions do governments and citizens react - and they react with panic, terror and confusion. It takes a long while to regroup and launch sensible counter attack.

Some governments implement "safe" zones but leave refugees as bait for the zombies while they retract soldiers. This books is touchingly human. Not just the mind-nubming violence of zombies. I understood the terrible act of governments trying to save what could be saved, of parents feeding human flesh to their starving daughter and of movie makers feeding false hope to the public. This is so much more than a "zombie" book and highly recommendable to anyone intersted in human fallibility - and also resilience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

01/19/2012 page 13
3.0% "Wow! What an amazing beginning. I was really sorry to have to leave it to go to work this morning."
show 6 hidden updates…