Mark O'Neill's Reviews > The Venetian Betrayal

The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry

M_50x66
This book initially took a bit of getting into and I feared that I wouldn't be able to finish it. But the more I kept reading, the more I became more and more engrossed in it. So don't be put off if the start feels a bit hard or unwieldy. Keep going![return][return]In this book, the historical subject and subject of the conspiracy is Alexander The Great. As usual, Berry introduces a secret society into the story - the Venetian League - which makes me feel as if I am surrounded on all sides by secret societies and ruthless assassins! [return][return]Berry also introduces a fictional country - The Central Asian Federation - made up of former Russian republics who have all banded together to form one country, under the dictatorship of Supreme Minister Irina Zovastina. Zovastina is a huge fan of Alexander and the Iliad and she is determined to find Alexander's grave. To this end, she instructs two of her men to find and take by force eight elephant medallions which were once the property of Alexander. She is convinced that these medallions hold the clue to what really happened to Alexander in his final days.[return][return]But she begins to attact the wrong kind of attention in the form of the US Government and once again, Cotton Malone, Cassiopeia Vitt and Henrik Thorvaldson find themselves fighting one of the world's biggest dictators for control of the Middle East. Added to the mix is a colleague of Zovastina's who is a multi-billionaire and head of the Venetian League. He is convinced he has found the cure for AIDS and he wants to make billions from it. But will Zovastina let him live long enough for that to happen?[return][return]A superb addition to the Berry series and I can't wait for the next one to come out in the next couple of months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Venetian Betrayal.