April 's Reviews > The Leopard

The Leopard by Jo Nesbø

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in January, 2012

There are some books that aren't dreadful but just aren't worth finishing. All the same, I cannot remember the last time I read 311 pages of a book only to decide I couldn't be bothered to read the rest. After several days of being really confused by my overwhelming apathy and agonizing over what to do, I finally gave myself permission to give up.

Why couldn't I summon up the will to read? For one thing, this is not even half as good a book as The Snowman nor was its killer remotely as frightening and cool to read about. For another? The more I read, the more I kept alternating between bored out of my mind and irritated beyond belief.

I thought that maybe I could put up with this for the sake of spending more time with Harry Hole. This worked for awhile because Harry in of himself is really fascinating in a large part due to his flaws, but also his point of view in regards to virtually anything at all. I loved the opening scenes of him in Hong Kong and I was really moved by the relationship he had with his father. However, I hated that --much like the last book-- there were several female characters who were into Harry because... Well, that was a problem too. There hardly ever a compelling, believable, or even interesting reason for anything that happened, and I got tired of waiting for some to show up.

In conclusion, nothing like not the gripping, suspenseful, and electrifying novel that I was promised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leopard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Soule same here.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Sturm I made it through, combining audio and print, but wished I had used my time with someone else, like Junot Diaz.

Lisa Have you read any other Harry Hole books or was The Snowman your first and The Leopard your second?

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Sturm Only The Leopard. There were enough Snowman references in that book to make feel as if I had read it.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Dec 05, 2012 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa I would suggest you read the others. Start with Nemesis and go from there. I've read them all and this was my least favorite by far.
I can relate. My first Jack Reacher was the one with the worst review.
Such is life.

Jennifer Mansfield I love Jo Nesbo and read The Red Breast, Nemesis and The Devil's Star...really enjoyed all of them. I skipped The Snowman and read The Leopard. I was really disappointed. I completely agree with your review - about 50 pages from the end I was totally irritated that there were WAY too many twists and turns. I kind of skimmed through those last pages. The book was much too violent and disturbing for me - and I am a big fan thrillers and not really easily grossed out. This one was too much for me.

Elise I'm with you. But I gave it 500 pages and just skipped to the end.

message 8: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari If I skip this and go on to Phantom, will I not have missed much? With all the talk about his scar, I'm wondering if I should hold off and read this one first. Recommendations appreciated.

Lisa I haven't read Phantom yet. Sorry.