Colleen's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Sep 26, 2012

Read on January 19, 2012

I LOVED this book. It is one of the best books that I have read in awhile. It is not going to be for everyone; it is not a fast-paced book and there's not necessarily a whole lot of action but the beauty of this book is that it completely draws you in. I couldn't put it down and if I had to, I couldn't wait to get back to it. The basic premise is 2 young magicians who have been trained from a young age for a "competition" but there is so much more to the story than that. While Celia and Marco (and of course, The Night Circus itself) are the main characters, the supporting characters are so well fleshed out that you care about what is happening with them as well as with the central plot of the story. I saw some criticism from other reviewers about the way the story jumps back and forth both between time frame and point of view but I felt like that added to the whole sense of magic and mystery that are the key points of the story. I don't know how to describe it without sounding totally queer but it was like the story pulled you in and you could almost smell, hear and see the circus as well as feeling the mystery of it all. My only small criticism is that the end felt a bit disjointed. The novel had a really good flow to it (even though there were times where I was having to flip back in the book to check dates or characters) but I found myself having trouble following it a bit at the end and I would have to re-read parts a couple times to make sure I didn't miss key information. It all came together though and anything that you may not have quite understood becomes clear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.