Jennifer's Reviews > The Wolf Gift

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, earcs, ebook, fantasy, lit-with-a-little-something-extra, shifters
Read from January 19 to 23, 2012

It's been a few years since I read an Anne Rice book, and that last one I never finished. I was hoping for a little better here, since I'm always on the lookout for a good shifter book. This one isn't quite a true three star book, but I read to the end, so I'll give it the extra half star.

THE WOLF GIFT is pretty much your standard guy-turns-into-wolf-man story. At times the prose is pretty, and sometimes it veers into high literary mode. There's a lot of passive voice, which distances the reader from what should have emotional impact. But the descriptions of the forest and the house where most of the novel takes place are full of detail and form a clear image of the surroundings. The plot is pretty thin, and while there are plenty of bad guys who get their comeuppance, there's not really an antagonist until near the end. There's a lot of internal monologing and discussion about how brilliant the wolf gift is. Some scenes are squicky, like the inevitable feeding frenzy or the "I've found the perfect woman who will accept the beast I now am" sex scenes, but they're not badly written.

If you like any and all stories about shifters, you'll probably think this is okay. Parts of it were great, though I was happy to finish the story and move on.

I received this as a digital ARC via Netgalley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf Gift.