Ruth's Reviews > Blood Eye

Blood Eye by Giles Kristian

Jan 19, 2012

liked it

** spoiler alert ** c2009. This was a great little read and yes - I read it because I was kind of hankering after Uhtred from The Saxon stories of Cornwell. The endorsement on the cover by Cornwell gave me a bit of hope as well ie "An astonishing and riveting debut." It was indeed similar but perhaps the young protagonist is not quite so immoral as Uhtred. There were a few things about the character's thoughts that, for me, did not gel with the background that had been given. But this is really small beer and I think that anyone who likes this period of history will thoroughly enjoy this book. The comradeship of the warriors came through far stronger than in Cornwell's books although the same kind of one on one honour was evident. I did find that two thirds of the way in I was strugglng with the pace a bit but it picked up towards the end. FWFTB: treachery, fighting, Norse, battle, treasure FCN: Jarl Sigurd (very heroic character this!), Osric/Raven (the young protagonist); Ealdorman Ealdred (Booooooo), Cynethryth (the love interest), Ealhstan (guardian - and oh dear - met with a dreadful end that I won't forget anytime soon.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Eye.