Robert Zimmermann's Reviews > Ten Tea Parties: Patriotic Protests That History Forgot

Ten Tea Parties by Joseph Cummins

Feb 23, 12

Read from January 20 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

Reading Ten Tea Parties was a bit different than my normal choice of book. But when I first say the title, I questioned the book. This sounds interesting, but it's a history book isn't it? Until reading it, I haven't taken much pleasure in history books since middle school when learning about the Greeks, Romans, then later Americans was fun but not extensive enough to cause boredom. Then high school and college required courses took hold and killed the subject for me.
This book shattered that stigma against liking history. When I read the brief description on Good Reads alone I gained interest. There was more to the Tea Party, and more Tea Parties than just Boston's? Yes, I want to know about this. Part of this was probably due to it being completely new information to me and another part is most likely because I don't like how history is only fed to students in amounts and events the schools want to talk about. This seems to be an important part of our nation's history and I wanted to know about it.
The way this information about the entire crisis of the various taxes leading up to and the final straw of the tax on tea was presented took me out of the mindset of "I'm reading a history book." I was not bored once, which is uncommon for me. It wasn't dry at all. I continuously wanted to read and read. I enjoyed the starting out with the explanation of the history of the East India Company as well. I've heard of it, but never knew just how powerful they were. It set up the rest of the book perfectly. From it went into how the various colonists dealt with the taxes, organized, and carried out a way of protesting against what they believed was wrong.
Before reading this book the Revolution to me was focused mainly in the north, part of that may be from being educated in New York, but at the same time a lot happened up here. Seeing that the protests occurred as far south as North Carolina was also refreshing. It brought a more whole perspective on the situation; this was really all 13 colonies under a common cause.
Bottom line: Pick this book up, even if you're not into reading about history too often. I was in the same boat, but had a gut feeling about this book. I was pleased in the end. I learned something and it's great to be able to take so much out of a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Tea Parties.

01/20/2012 page 23