Allen's Reviews > Left Behind

1203254
Jul 06, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: religion
Recommended for: nobody with a functioning neuron
Read in January, 2005

I usually have students fill out a card at the start of the semester with information like their major, where they went to high school, etc. One thing I always ask is what book they read most recently. The Left Behind series started showing up on those cards a lot a few years ago, so I decided to read the first one to see what they were like.

This is absolutely the worst-written book that I've ever picked up. The dialogue is painful, the characters are wooden, the descriptions are hackneyed. In every way this book is just too dreadful to wade through. I skimmed it, right through to the unintentionally laughable end where the main characters are striding side by side down the street to go take on the evil-doers as the "Tribulation Force".

I now have a benchmark for the scale of books -- this is the bottom. Apparently you can't give a book a rating below one star.
52 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Left Behind.

01/30 marked as: read

message 1: by Ev (new)

Ev Nobody with a functioning neuron... Negative reviews of things are always comedy gold.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Stephens I have read the whole series, the writing is terrible and some of what happens is not based on the Bible. I do believe I was horrified when in the last book, they were talking about some steaks they were eating and the butcher said a cow showed up to be killed for food. There will be no more death in heaven, including animals. A terrible end to a totally made up book. The first two movies were even worse.

James Lankford If you refer to this book as "absolutely the worst-written book" that you've read, I'm curious what you would call a well-written book. I personally find that the author seems to be very well gifted with his writing style.

message 4: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Holmes-Cooper Let's not forget the book is a work of fiction.