David Stewart's Reviews > I Never Liked You

I Never Liked You by Chester Brown

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: canada
Read from January 19 to 20, 2012

Everything about this book, labeled as a comic strip narrative, is simple. The drawing is simple, the lines are simple, the story is simple, and the dialogue is simple in the extreme. However, beneath its simplicity lies a surprisingly intimate portrait of a man growing up in a dysfunctional way, and while many such stories will attempt to sugar coat such drama with a happy ending, Brown does no such thing, and his tale ends like it begins; with neutrality. The story is autobiographical, with names changed to protect the innocent, and it doesn't hide anything about the Chester Brown who writes it. That said, there is a quality of self-deprecation here that you wouldn't find from most authors. How Chester Brown sees himself is not necessarily how the world sees him, but he does a marvelous job of capturing that self-deprecation without ever showing off as an artist or author.

This is apparently one of the tamest Brown graphic novels, and I'm looking forward to obtaining the others to see just what dark paths these simply drawn characters wander down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Never Liked You.