Meg Tyler's Reviews > The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks

The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey

Jan 19, 12

Like many other reviewers, my opinion on this book is torn. I was certainly entertained by the story, and I appreciate a peek into the world of animal research in the wild. Casey is a talented writer, writing poetically about the magnificence of the sharks and the hardships of the islands. I don't want a book review to turn into an indictment of her personal choices. However, it is difficult to overlook her totally irresponsible behavior and ambivalence regarding the outcome thereof. by the end of the story, I found myself unable to admire anyone involved except the the islands and animals themselves. Casey seems unable to decide what the story means to her personally, and leaves the reader wondering,therefore,what the story should mean to them. I think she may have done better to leave her personal story out of it, and focus on the fascinating material offered up by the natural environment she encountered in the Farallones.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Teeth.