Sara's Reviews > Loving the Highlander

Loving the Highlander by Janet Chapman

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: adult-lit, chick-lit, paranormal, romance, trashy-romance, guilty-pleasure
Read in January, 2012

I had high hopes for this book in the beginning. I liked the idea of Sadie Quill’s character. A woman who was not only decently haunted but also physically scared. Sadie is very conscious of her scars. A beautiful woman naturally she now has scars covering her entire back and one arm. Because they extend to her hand some are always visible.

I liked that Chapman created a character who was haunted by something realistic (the deaths of her sister and father) and also a woman who was dealing with a real physical flaw…Not just clumsy-ness or a slightly more endowed waistline like most other ‘slightly-flawed’ romance heroines.

Then it all just went paranormal; ‘magical’ if you will. You know the Highlander series is going to be about time-travel, quick marriages, and lots of magic sprinkled in its pages. But Chapman went and messed with the scars. Used magic on them and then took magic away from them. Stop here if you plan on reading this one…because the next paragraph is going to get spoiler-y…

I thought that when Chapman took away Sadie’s scars with healing magic it was a cop-out. I wanted Sadie to have to deal with this physical manifestation of her issues. To realize that she was beautiful and desirable with or without this flaw. To find the self-worth she had been lacking for so long. I thought that was going to be the point of the scars. Morgan’s love was just going to reinforce…push her toward the edge of seeing herself in a new light.

Nope. Magic Morgan accidentally ‘heals’ said scars and then even wishes himself that Sadie had fallen in love with him pre-healing so she’d know he loved her with or without them. Now, here’s where I’m going to get a bit edgy. First, Morgan’s a bit of a wank for thinking he wished she had her scars. I mean, doesn’t the girl deserve the perfect skin magic accidentally gave her? Especially if he only wants her to have them to prove what a good man he truly is.

Except…

I kinda wanted her to still have the scars too. It felt too easy that she could give it all up. Hide her past trauma so easily…never having to deal with it emotionally. So what is an author to do? Apparently create a situation where Sadie has to give some magic back (yep, you can do that with magic…just trade it off) to save Morgan but in exchange those scars are coming back.

Bam. Take that Sadie. Coming off the euphoria of losing the scars. You almost lose the new hubby and then gain those emotionally charged scars back. Talk about getting hit hard. I think the book would have been stronger had Sadie simply had to deal with her baggage based completely in reality. In order to accept the rushed marriage, magical elements, and a burl of wood that heals when hit with water…I need my characters emotions to be based in reality. Insta-love aside, I need all baggage to be handled with care and realism.

Rating: 2/5 The way the scars were handled bothered me too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving the Highlander.