Nely's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: own
Read from January 20 to 22, 2012

What a heartwarming love story!

When Hadley misses her flight (by four minutes!) to London, she finds herself stuck at the airport waiting for the next one. There she meets Oliver - charming, clever, British (I couldn't help but throw that in there since I love a man with an accent) and, luckily enough, also on her same flight. Over the hours they spend from Connecticut to London you get to know them better - and trust someone as cynical as me, that they will have you believing that love at first sight might not be just a myth.

Surprisingly, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight had more depth that I originally anticipated. While I thought it was just going to be a cutesy love story (and, it was), it also had moments that had me at the brink of tears, that were bittersweet and emotional.

The two protagonists were so easy to love. Hadley is hurt and angry because not only did her father tear her life apart, but he is now moving on and marrying the woman that he destroyed their family over. Oliver comes off as quite the charmer with his unique and random ideas, but when Hadley truly looks in his eyes, we can all see that there are some shadows lurking behind his cheerful facade.

Although the story takes place over a 24 hour span of time, it did not feel rushed. Ms. Smith gives you plenty of insight to her characters and by the end of the story you truly get to know them. The moments between Hadley and her father were so bittersweet and heartbreaking. I tried to understand and tried to put myself in Hadley's shoes. But in the end I found that I could not be as forgiving of her. I stayed with the bitterness and anger that she felt for her dad. I tried to understand his point-of-view, but call me vengeful, I just could not get over his transgressions. I would have liked there to have been more moments of just Hadley and Oliver since those were the one's that stole the show for me. Their interactions were swoon worthy.

Have you ever seen the 2001 movie, Serendipity... you know, the one starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale? The one that you always stop to watch should you happen to see it as you are clicking through channels... at least I do. That is what I was reminded of while reading The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Like Serendipity, I found myself sighing and smiling all over the place while reading this one. It was the perfect read to snuggle up with and just feel gushy over.

Overall, this was a wonderful read. Though I wasn't too happy with Hadley and her father's relationship, the moments between Hadley and Oliver were enough to make me really like this story. A very enjoyable, light and fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.