Kristin's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jan 19, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, introverts, psychology, science, sociology
Read in April, 2012

Anyone who is an introvert will find some validation in this book. Well-researched but still fun to read, Cain did a good job of mixing the scientific theories and studies with anecdotal examples.

The book confirms that what I thought was bunk really is bunk! Such as the horribleness of open office concepts, group projects, and committee meetings because of how drained they make me feel afterwards. The idea of creating "restorative niches" resonated with me. It makes sense that after a long day of putting on a pseudo-extrovert personality, an introvert needs time alone doing something they care about to feel energized the way an extrovert might draw energy from a party.

Basically read this if you want to understand me better and understand yourself better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom I heard a discussion by the author on the book on NPR. You dont really realize how much our society focuses on extroversion. I was thinking that at work, it just makes sense to allow everyone the opportunity to be by themselves for a moment if they want to be. I'm sure the result would be better productivity.
But it is difficult in the global economy where you need to be able to meet people face to face in so many situations. The take away for me was just the additional effort I need to give to living and working with introverts, and that it isn't a bad thing at all.