Aubrey's Reviews > Death on the Nile

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Jan 19, 2012

Read from January 19 to 26, 2012

For those who haven't noticed, I am a huge crime/mystery/suspense junkie. I love it! This book, however, felt very lacking to me. Maybe I have an advantage, as I am studying criminology in school, but I had this one figured out in the first 60 or so pages. Granted, there were a few curve balls thrown in there that left me a bit flabbergasted.

The twists and turns that came from multiple murders - and a potential terrorist! - were really exciting! Each character had something to hide, and each character had something to contribute to the murders. No one was safe from suspicion! As the great detective Hercule Poirot goes about unveiling each character's deepest secret, the readers are (supposed to be) left quite intrigued as to who the perpetrator may be.

Even though I guessed the end result early on, I still loved the round-about way that Hercule Poirot went about figuring it out himself. He is a neat, tidy little man who ensures that all loose ends are perfectly in order before he unravels the mystery behind the three murders on board the boat. The presence of Colonel Race definitely gives us something to feed off of. He acts as a spokesperson for the reader. Poirot goes about his "little ideas" and theories in what seems to be an unorganized manner. Race acts on our behalf to ask the question - in slightly politer terms - "what the hell are you talking about".

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, as are most of Agatha Christie's works. I would definitely recommend it to my fellow crime and mystery lovers! The classics are always so fun to go back to, when modern crime writing seems to constantly up the ante on gore. Stick to the classics, stick with Christie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death on the Nile.

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Babcock I read this a long time ago and recall enjoying it. I love Hercule Poirot, even more so than Sherlock Holmes … he seems like a more relatable figure, and I like that he believes you can solve a mystery by thinking.

I would love to hear you explain to me, sort of detail by detail or step by step, how you deduced the killer so quickly. I suck at that.

Claudia wrote: “He is a neat, tidy little man who ensures that all loose ends are perfectly in order before he unravels the mystery behind the three murders on board the boat.”

Very well phrased!