David's Reviews > Tails you Lose

Tails you Lose by Lisa Smedman

Jan 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: novel, shadowrun, i-have, cyberpunk, low-fantasy
Read from May 21 to August 06, 2016

A twisting plot worthy of a Shadowrun novel? I guess so, not that I've read much of Shadowrun aside from knowing just the basics of it. The book does provide some sort of background to the world of Shadowrun, so new readers aren't too lost. The slang and the lingo adds a lot of flavour to the story.

The story follows a counter-extraction security specialist, i.e. counter-kidnapper, as she gets accused for the kidnapping and murder of one of her own corporation's researcher. What's worse is that Alma, the protagonist, depended upon the researcher for potentially her very life because of an experimental cyberware installed into her head.

As we follow her forced investigation into the world of shadowrunners, we get rewarded with ever deepening mysteries and twists. The story is quite good and easy to follow, despite the twists. I didn't expect the final twist but I didn't enjoy it either. I found it a somewhat poor twist as I believe it presents a lot of loopholes (but the author neatly circumvents them rather skillfully). So overall, it's quite an entertaining read into the world of Shadowrun as long as you don't try to over think it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tails you Lose.

05/21/2016 marked as: to-read