Jamie K's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

2043447
Mar 11, 12

Read from February 25 to March 11, 2012

Callie Woodland is a sixteen year old Starter living in a dystopian version of Los Angelos. Her world has been ravaged by the Spore Wars. Only the very young and the very old were inoculated against it. Those between the ages of twenty and sixty died when the spores were released. Starters unclaimed by Ender relatives were forced to the streets unable to work or make money to survive - until Prime Destinations.

Prime Destinations is a secretive company that allows Starters to work by renting out their bodies to Enders who want to feel young again. The Starters go to sleep for a period of time and wake up much richer.

Starving on the street and with a sick younger brother Tyler, Callie inquires at Prime Destinations and ultimately decides to become a donor. Things seem to be going well, until she wakes up at a nightclub in the middle of one of her rentals. She quickly finds something is wrong with her chip. The discovery sends her on a journey that causes her to question her actions and everything she knows. She risks her life to try to uncover a much larger and more sinister plot

From the moment I heard about Starters, I knew I wanted to get my hands on this book. It definitely did not disappoint. It reminded me a bit of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse in premise but there are only a few similarities. The book was exciting, hard to put down, and left me guessing what the next surprise would be at every turn of events.

I loved Callie's character and strength throughout her journey. She changed nearly every person's life she touched. Despite having to make difficult choices, she stuck to her beliefs along the way.

My one minor complaint is that the writing was a bit weak in a few places but the story carried you through the weak spots.

Starters is an eery and twisting ride that takes a deep look at human behavior. As adults we all want to be young again but at what cost? The story makes you take a deep look inside and wonder about the choices we make and the costs we may not have considered. Starters had me squirming in places wondering if people could really be that cruel for their own benefit. And it ultimately forces the question, if you were in Callie's situation what would you have done?

I'm definitely looking forward to two more upcoming e-shorts and the second book Enders!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.