Daph (Loving Books)'s Reviews > Life's a Witch

Life's a Witch by Brittany Geragotelis

Oct 13, 13

bookshelves: 2011, arc-for-review, release-november, why-did-i-do-this-to-myself
Read on February 05, 2012

Final rating: 1.5/5

I've tried my best not to make this a ranty review, but I'm so frustrated with this book that I couldn't help but write some of it down. I hope you won't mind.

The blurb for this one sounded great. Add that to 15 million readers on Wattpad and I was expecting to get a good story. Unfortunately, I was annoyed with the main character from the very first page. I have never, ever read about a main character as stuck up and full of herself as Hadley Bishop.

She is the most popular girl in school, as well as the prettiest and one of the smartest. Hadley reminds us of these facts every couple of pages, along with her obsession for 'fashion' at the most ridiculous moments. The only thing she worries about when she needs to get active in a fight for example, is how many inches her stiletto's should be and what kind of outfit should she wear? She only thinks of herself during the preparations for the upcoming war, not thinking of the dozens of teens she has to take care of. Everything is Me Myself and I and bothered the crap out of me.

But it didn't end with Hadley being so self centered that she thought the world revolved around her. There was a clear case of insta-love in this book. She loves him when she lays eyes on him, even though she knows there's a traitor around who is spying on her coven for the enemy (who, by the way, kidnapped the parents of ALL the kids currently under her 'supervision') and she doesn't even know this guy and it all made absolutely. no. sense. that she would run in to him at every place she goes and just be making a complete ass out of herself to impress him. Their 'relationship' develops very quickly and the big L-word is spoken pretty soon. They have nothing in common, don't know eachother and there is a big crisis going on with everyone's life threatened and all, and all she worries about is if he will think she is crazy.

The minor characters had potential, with a handful of them appearing to have their own small story, but nothing of that came across from the paper (or kindle, in my case). The characters fell flat and I couldn't seperate some of the girls because they all seemed the same because they had no personality. I felt no connection to them at all, which I was hoping for since I hated Hadley with a burning passion.

The story itself builds up to an 'epic battle' that was over in a couple of pages. All the exciting parts felt rushed and at all the points where it seemed to be getting interesting, there was an easy solution for the problem - Hadley would have a dream about the solution, she would find a book, she would just come up with the solution - which bothered me to no end.

I wouldn't recommend this book. I didn't enjoy reading it, and was annoyed from the moment Hadley was introduced (there's a prologue about her ancestors). I kept reading because I hoped it would get better, but it didn't. Reading on only resulted in me being very frustrated and wanting to throw my Kindle across the room, which I couldn't even do without potentionally destroying my ereader.

Find this review and others on Loving Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life's a Witch.

02/05/2012
6.0% "I don't think I've ever read about a main character who is as full of herself as this one."
02/05/2012
20.0% "I absolutely hate the main character of this book. I'm silently hoping she will become less obnoxious."
02/05/2012
39.0% "Still hating Hadley with a passion."
02/05/2012
39.0% "Still hating Hadley with a passion."
02/05/2012
58.0% "This makes absolutely NO SENSE!!"
68.0% "Oh PLEASE."
02/05/2012
84.0% "I kept hoping it would get better but it won't.. Ugh."