Nicholas's Reviews > Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order

Sync by Steven H. Strogatz

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: physics
Read from January 15 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

For the most part though,it reminded me of James Gleicks' Chaos book in the way that the Sync story is conveyed with tales of maverick characters on the fringes of established science, making serendipitous discoveries that lay around waiting for someone to slot them into a framework.Within this there are numerous enlightening insights and quirky facts about the rhythm and harmonies that universally pervade the fabric of existence,which make it well worth the effort.
Although I did enjoy this book,I didn't find it as thrilling and inspiring as some other people seemed to do.It does roll along pretty well until it hits part 3,where the ability of language and metaphor to convey non linear concepts of encryption and 3D sync left me needy in some respects.Although I was able to follow the general principles,it was still frustrating not to be able to fully comprehend some of the finer points involved.
Overall an entertaining popular science book,with a few moments of conceptual difficulties for non mathematicians,which can be circumvented without any deleterious effects to the whole.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sync.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Willem (new)

Willem van der Scheun You might like "Critical mass" by Philip Ball as well. He also describes various ways or "order" brought about by statistical interesting interactions between humans, that show surprisingly similar patterns as between particles in gasses, fluids and solids.

Nicholas Thanks for the tip,"Critical Mass" was on the final list when I was looking into this subject, but I took the populist view and bought "sync" instead.I'll probably try "Critical Mass" sooner than later.

message 1: by Born2Hula (new) - added it

Born2Hula Thanks for the review. I had wondered if this was like Gleick's book.