Sara's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Feb 01, 2012

Read from January 19 to 20, 2012

Ok, shit. This was good. It's hard to rate YA stuff I like on the same scale as lit stuff, because it just pushes different buttons for me than a "literary" "adult" novel does. Whatever those words mean. This review isn't starting out that well. But anyway, I just want to say that 1) there were moments of gorgeous writing in this book, which I appreciated because I don't usually expect that in YA fiction. I expect characters I get kind of attached to and really want to find out what happens next, but I don't expect intriguing sentence-level writing, which this had some of and it made me really happy. Don't get me wrong, there were awkward bits, but it's about teenagers. Teenagers are awkward. Books about teenagers have a right to be occasionally awkward as well. I would be suspicious of one that wasn't.

But yes. This story was really touching and sad. I won't spoiler anything. I cried twice when I was listening to it on the way to work today. This is the first book to make me cry in 2012.
3 likes · flag

05/28 marked as: read

Fincalian Have you read anything else by John Green? And I also cried while reading this. I haven't cried from a book in a really long time.

Sara I've read all of them. He's my second-favorite ya author after E Lockhart. The last book that made me cry was David Michaelis's biography of Charles Schultz.

Fincalian I really love all his books. Such great YA work. And also, your review is great.