Danny Williams's Reviews > The War of the Ember

The War of the Ember by Kathryn Lasky

Jan 24, 2012

Read in January, 2012

The Guardians of Ga’Hoole: The War of the Ember By: Kathryn Lasky

This book takes place in a future where humans have gone extinct and owls have advanced to near human culture in a fictional area of the world called Ga’Hoole where the continents have shifted on their tectonic plates. In the previous book an evil owl named the Striga brainwashed the king of the well known Great Ga’Hoole Tree, Coryn, into eliminating all vanities. At the harvest festival, the king’s uncle, Soren, led a group of moss covered owls into battle against the Striga and his allies. This year’s harvest festival was much more festive, with much more singing, dancing, and eating. Soon, the owls of the Great Ga’Hoole Tree are visited by three animals. These animals tell them that the main antagonists, The Pure Ones, are after the Ember of Hoole again. This mystical ember embodies odd powers that affect everyone near it differently but offers a way of proving your authority. If it falls into the wrong hands it could mean trouble for the entire animal kingdom. Not only are the evil Pure Ones after the ember, but their leader, Nyra, has formed an alliance with the Striga. Together, they hope to unleash the ancient and evil magic of nachtmagen and hatch a new order of hagsfiends to control it. The noble owls of the Great Ga’Hoole Tree must gather many kinds of creatures to meet their final match in full on war against the Pure Ones.
In my opinion this book was an excellent book and perhaps the best in the series. I thought the author did a very good job of wrapping up the series in an exciting way. I believe this book is appropriate for high school because it does have deeper meanings within it that high school students would notice. For example, the last battle was very much like the Battle of Thermopylae fought in 480 B.C. The book does have literary merit as well as it is readable and it keeps you hooked. Like the first fourteen books in the series, you want to know what will happen next. The theme of the book is the strongest will survive, not necessarily the biggest or visibly stronger. I personally did enjoy reading this book as it was a great way to end the series and it kept me wondering until the end. I also enjoyed the history references that the author put in this book and the others because it was exciting to read something in a book and say “Oh, I just learned that in history.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of the Ember.