Winter Branch's Reviews > Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong

Lies Across America by James W. Loewen

Jul 06, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in January, 2001

Another Loewen book that was taken from me and a book I wished I still had. This book of "truths" is great for road trips. It's neat to read to how many national parks and monuments are worded and displayed to promote individual agendas that slowly influence our historical memory. Even though I was already aware that this type of thing happens all the time, the book still served as a reminder to read those memorial markers a little bit closer (for example the first time I stepped foot on the UGA campus and read the sign that began with "During the war of Northern aggression..."). The book isn't perfect and takes the approach that "more is better" and in this book that is not the case. There are way too many "lies" in the book resulting in very short descriptions and explanations. I'd like to see an expanded edition of this book split up into individual regions of the US. Regardless, it's still worth checking out for the traveling salesman, family vacationer, or touring band.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Across America.