Ratty Rita's Reviews > Heat Rises

Heat Rises by Richard Castle

Jan 19, 12

Read in January, 2012

This was by far the best of the three Nikki Heat books. I suppose if one did not watch the TV show, then the setting up of the characters/situations in books one and two really pay off in book three which felt much more character driven. The low that Castle took his character Nikki to was quite deep and this made her 'Rise' all the more enjoyable.

In fact, I'd love to see something similar happen in future episodes of the TV show which for the most part give Kate Beckett situations in which to shine in rather than struggle.

I would be as bold to actually suggest fans of the show could skip books 1 and 2 and just power on to the awesome of book 3.

*potential Castle spoiler alert below for those that have not seen end s3. I have tried to be cryptic!*

There were so many awesome plot twists and turns that I really enjoyed (page 217: o.m.g that left me on the edge of my seat!). However the biggest reveal/payoff which I felt complimented what we see on the small screen was in the acknowledgments on p 303. I can imagine Kate reading that.... And compounded with the last moments of ep 3x24 brings a whole meaning to the decisions re: the Caskett relationship in ep 4x01 (incidentally titled ''Rise'').

I can't imagine book 4 (if there is one) topping book 3 and at last, this is the type of book I can see an 'award winning crime novelist' writing (of which Castle is meant to be).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Rises.