Soumi's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-reviewed, zombies
Read in November, 2011

I used to avoid any zombie movies or novels before reading Warm Bodies Well I still believe zombies are creepy but this book shook my thoughts upside down. This book taught us about being human. Humans are the only living species in the Homo genus, a human body is constructed of flesh and bone with warm blood flowing through our artery and vein, our heart beats at 60/RR interval in seconds. Then why are we so different from these living dead zombies??? Because we have feelings, we smile when we are happy, we cry when we are in pain, our brain is a collection of memories, of both joy and sorrows.

Warm Bodies is a sensitive love story of a young zombie R and a human girl Julie with a music of pensive sadness, that will cause a sensation as of things crawling on your skin. We have always come across Zombie novel such as Reapers Are The angels or Feed, which were creepy and violent. Well Warm bodies is a creepy story but in a sweet way. That’s what made this book unique.

“My friend ‘M’ says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can’t smile, because your lips have rotted off.”?

The author did a splendid job by narrating the story from the point of view of R. Going through R’s life was a surprising experience of how it’s like to be a Zombie. Human bodies are sustenance for a zombie, an appetite for their survival. No matter how much R feels guilty, he has to set upon the living and eat. R is disturbed, wistful and humorous at the same time. I believe no zombie book was ever pictured those sides of a Zombie life.

A Quick Look

When R killed Perry, a human boy, he accidentally ate his brain, and felt an impulsive urge to save Perry’s girlfriend Julie. When R saved her , he brought her with him to his abandoned plane to keep her safe.
Warm Bodies was revolved around R and Julie, from the very beginning of their friendship until they found their way to each other. The entire story was broken into several glimpses of Perry’s memory, each moment Perry lives including the images of his times with Julie. R felt the same affection and protectiveness towards Julie, even when back to reality, he hold her hand with tight grip of assurance and warmth. The romance was quite impossible considering R isn’t exactly alive, neither he’s dead, still he felt full of life and spirit after he met Julie. So does other zombies, some miracle happened and they started to feel the vibration of life like a human. The book ended with a hope of brave new world and promising future but was not I expected, it was equivocal and unsatisfactory for me, like there should have been something more.
The book is action packed regarding the fact that both Zombies and humans are hunting each others for their own existence. Zombies are eating humans and their bites are infectious where the remaining humans are also hunting down Zombies from being overwhelmed. Sadly Julie’s father is one of them who believe Zombies don’t deserve to be back to their normal human life. Stuck these two sides it was really hard for R to be with Julie and keep her safe. If they stayed in aero plane area, zombies would kill Julie, if they went to civilization, humans would track down R and kill him.

I would like to say:

Please do not judge the story from technical point of view, then romance between a Zombie and a Human would seem very unrealistic. Consider the book as an impressive example of modern literature and try to find the hidden moral of humanity behind the story which would lead you to a deep thinking about giving values to your life.

20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Srinivas i just downloaded it...hoping reading it should be like.. what u have reviewed..

Soumi Yeah, try it, it's really good :)

Srinivas i already started...i never read a story which is narrated by a zombie.. thanks for recommending..

Soumi most welcome, this book is very different from conventional zombie books in my opinion

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru Interesting, I may have to give this a try.

Soumi Ohh surely, a different story with an unconventional view

message 7: by Priyak (new) - added it

Priyak Ghosh Unbelivable beatifull review

message 8: by Sudipa (new) - added it

Sudipa Bera agreed....lovely review, I'm freaking curious about the book

Soumi This book is lovable ;)