Bonnie's Reviews > Break Out

Break Out by Nina Croft

May 01, 12

bookshelves: 2011-books, sci-fi, vampires-werewolve-zombies-oh-my, chick-lit-paranormal
Read in February, 2012

The idea of a vampire smuggler in space where the elite have discovered immortality was right up my alley. It sounded like a fun mix of Firefly + Angel. Unfortunately this book suffers from a plot very loosely hung together and paper-thin characters.

Skyler is supposed to be one of the top operatives of an elite security force and yet she can’t keep a thought in her head if Ricardo the Sexy Spanish Vamp is in the room. Seriously, woman. TRY TO HOLD IT TOGETHER FOR LIKE TWO DAYS.

Ricardo was no better as a hero. Even the pivotal break out of the super secure prison was underwhelming and mostly just gave Ricardo more time to comment on how hot Skylar is. I get it. He finds her ridiculously attractive. On the other hand, I never bought that he loved her. He became obsessed with her, yes. But he was a controlling, dangerous, abusive guy and Skylar became his sex toy and doormat. Ricardo was such an unpleasant macho man. And Skylar was so weak and pathetic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Break Out.