Jennifer's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

Jan 21, 12

Read on January 19, 2012

When I thought I couldn't cry any harder after Shade! I had to wait a couple days to write this because I was crying so much. In fact, like a crazy person, I started balling about this book again while in the shower yesterday. Yes, I know these are fictional characters, and I tried to tell myself that, but I just made myself cry harder. lol

This is hard for me to review. I don't know where to start or what to really say. A bit spoilery especially if you haven't read Shade and a little ranty, cause I just can't help myself. Shade ended with Logan returning to Aura as a shade, and becoming a regular ghost again. This book picks up at the same exact scene but with more details. Also when he returns, it is during the equinox so he gets seventeen minutes to be solid again. OMG! Heartbreak! They are so sweet together. Everything Logan says, I just want to quote. "How I'd die all over again just to touch you." But at the time they don't realize it is only seventeen minutes, so Logan hopes at the next equinox he will get another try at being solid.

Aura wants to try to move on with Zach(yuck). While I like Zach, I love Logan so much more, so basically he just pissed me off the whole time. He was constantly pushing Aura when he knows Logan is still around. Her boyfriend died! Give her time. She acts like a few months is enough. That isn't even enough for a regular breakup, let alone if your boyfriend actually dies. I don't understand why Aura couldn't just wait longer for Logan to move on before getting involved with Zach.

Aura and Zach continue to work on their research project. Aura learns a lot of crazy information about why Zach and Aura have special ghost powers. Aura also learns more about her mother and who her father was. Some big shocks and action because the government ghost people(called the DMP) would also like to know. Aura goes through a lot of emotions in this one. Some stuff I didn't like but understood because of her pain. Logan wants to go to prom with her *tears* but Zach asks her. She gets in a fight with Zach and ends up going with Dylan, Logan's brother. So much heartbreak, frustration and confusion between all these characters.

This series really just tears you apart. There is so much discussion about the Shift which is depressing on it's own. Everything Aura goes through makes you think about if it really happened how you would feel. She talks to ghosts and helps them move on. It is weird to think about whether or not seeing ghosts would be a good or bad thing. Aura thinks that maybe the Shift should have never happened and it should end so that ghosts can't be seen. But then how would they move on without help. Some need a last chance at things before moving on. Logan wants another chance to perform his music. *tears* This books ends with a super sad chapter. I also am a little unclear what it means for the next book out in May. I don't know if I can handle another one!

Team Logan

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I’ve been writing more songs in my head,” he said, “about being a ghost and a shade.” His face turned smooth and solemn. “How I’d die all over again just to touch you.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Don’t move,” he breathed, softer than ever. Logan slowly wrapped his fingers around my hand.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“The hand touched my cheek again. It wasn’t soft and cool like Gina’s. It was warm, with calloused fingertips like those of….
….a guitar player.”

“Logan. Touching.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“My heart pounded when its counterpart thumped beneath his skin. “How?”

“I don’t care,” he said, and kissed me.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Hey, it’s not like I was saving myself for the day you had a body again, so don’t get excited.”

“Too late.” He curved his fingers around my jaw and kissed me, hard enough to turn my limbs to liquid fire.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“He smiled at me. “Have a good time.”

“Thank you.” The music was definitely working, I thought as I started to shut the door.

“Don’t get laid,” he added.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I love you, Aura," Logan whispered. "Body or not, as long as I'm in this world, I want to be with you.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I love you all, so much more than you should ever love me.”

“I’ll always love you.”

“I’ll love you, too.” He touched my face. “Forever.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“You know what would be cool, next time?" said a voice behind me. "Black roses.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Logan followed my gaze. "I wonder if there'll be stars where I'm going."
"If there aren't now, there will be once you show up.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“What do you want as your password?"
"How about iloveaura”

“This one's for Aura.
You all know who that is by now. The only girl I've ever loved. I wrote her a song, but she's the only one who's ever heard it, or ever will.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“He sang the last two lines strong and smooth, promising that he'd always be with me, even when I could no longer hear his voice. I whispered the lines with him, sending the promise right back”

01/19/2012
5.0% "oh Damn! I was hoping this would be less sad than the first! But ghosty Logan wants Aura to go to the prom with him! *tears* And she is turning him down!!!!! WTF!!!!"
01/19/2012
62.0% "I just got to Logan's journal entry and it has me balling. Aura Keeley Aura S. Keeley Aura Salvatore Keeley Aura Salvatore-Keeley Aura Keeley-Salvatore (??) That is so sweet! He even thought about her name in case she just wanted to hyphenate."
01/19/2012
68.0% "I wanted to finish last night but fell asleep. The Dylan part was gross and awkward! Ew!" 2 comments
01/19/2012
93.0% ""He sang the last two lines strong and smooth, promising that he'd always be with me, even when I could no longer hear his voice. I whispered the lines with him, sending the promise right back.""
01/19/2012
100.0% "That last chapter had me balling! OMG!"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder I haven't read this one yet. I cried through the whole first book. I am so afraid to read this.

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 19, 2012 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Kristina wrote: "I haven't read this one yet. I cried through the whole first book. I am so afraid to read this."

Yes I seriously hurt my eyeballs with the first book! Then I was still balling during this one! I seriously don't even want the third one but by May maybe I'll be ready for more sadistic torture :-( Poor Logan! I want him to be my ghost BF. I'll treat him good. POO on Zach!

message 3: by Aimee (new) - added it

Aimee Jennifer wrote: "Kristina wrote: "I haven't read this one yet. I cried through the whole first book. I am so afraid to read this."

Like!

Jennifer Aimee wrote: "Like! "

Thanks! I have literally been ranting everywhere after I finished this one! Since you read the ending...(view spoiler)

message 5: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody Thats it, Im getting them tonight!!

message 6: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 22, 2012 12:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Jody wrote: "Thats it, Im getting them tonight!!"

They are very good and addicting! Just have the tissues and good luck with your eyeballs because mine hurt so bad after I was finished!

message 7: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody oh great so my eyes are going to go from popping out from Mr Grey to red and puffy. Dying to read this now.