Shayantani Das's Reviews > A Study in Scarlet

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: excellent-prose, favorite-protagonist, really-good
Read from February 01 to 02, 2012

Rating: 4 stars

This is my first Sherlock Holmes novel and yes, I am ashamed for not having read it earlier. I suppose that, what LOTR trilogy is to the fantasy world, Sherlock Holmes is to the detective/crime genre. Reading it is kind of like getting a degree. So anyway friends, I have graduated and am finally an official member of the crime/mystery fandom.

And I am most definitely a part of the bandwagon of Sherlock Homes fans.
description

Okay, off to the plot them:

“A Study in Scarlet” introduces the famous, haughty and exceedingly intelligent detective and his sidekick Dr Watson. There is a murder committed, Sherlock Holmes investigates it, and he bashes the police force along the way, brushes off Watson when he turns all gushy with admiration, and solves the case and catches the murderer.

So simple, NOT!!!!

Holmes handcuffs the culprit but gives no explanation about his reasoning either to the poor police officers or to the readers.

Then starts of Part 2: The land of the saints.
You are reading this part and start wondering if your edition missing pages. There are, of course, beautiful descriptions of the deserts of, but you can’t find any freaking link between the stories. You are majorly pissed at Holmes
Though, as pages pass you get engrossed into this this beautiful, unconnected tale about Mormons. There is love, father- daughter and the romantic kind, there is polygamy, and Bollywood style running away (DDLG guys, only SRK brings along the dad too).Since it’s not Bollywood, there is no happily ever after, instead there is revenge, and heartbreak and then, murder.

Suddenly, everything falls back into place. The stories collide. The murderer himself gives the much awaited explanations, and the Holmes and him, both gain mutual respect and admiration for each others talents (NOT KIDDING, I SWEAR!).

The novel ends with the fulfillment of Holmes prophecy about the police talking all the credit and our sidekick Watson, proclaiming that he will let the world know the real truth through his journal.

description

The storyline was therefore, in one word amazing
Also, along with this fast paced plot and legendary characters there is the added bones of memorable quotes. My favorites were all spoken my Holmes. Especially those where he describes the mind to be like an attic. The part where Watson gets horrified at Holmes’ ignorance about the solar system was also exceedingly entertaining.

When HOLMES SAID : “What the deuce is it to me?" he interrupted impatiently: "you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work.” I was mentally cheering him up, metaphorically waving pompoms

This series is definitely worth the hype, even though I was a tad underwhelmed by this particular novel. I am going to continue reading it though, because I am soooo in love with arrogant prick called of a detective called Sherlock Holmes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet.

02/01/2012 "The Country of Saints is part of this story?"

Mith I know you're probably sick of hearing me say this BUT PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WATCH THE TV SHOW!! You'll love it even more! Promise!

Shayantani Das Haha, I will, promise, I am just planning to read the whole series first.

Siddharth Yeah, read the books first. This is easily the least interesting of all the novels.

Prashant Ha, loved reading this review.
I am happy to finally have found someone who read Sherlock as late as I did! :)

I will second Mith here. You must must watch the TV series.

Shayantani Das Prashant wrote:
I will second Mith here. You must must watch the TV series."

I did, twice actually. I am exercising tremendous self control here by not watching it again. Oh, when will the 3rd season arrive!

Prashant Tanu wrote:

Oh! Damn it. You just touched the wrong nerve here.(!)

I always deplore the ridiculously low number of episodes in this series.

Not expecting the next season till 2013 :(

message 7: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Huybrechts meanwhile... still waiting for the 3rd season, and we're not done waiting! Ah well, let's reread the books and rewatching the first 2 seasons!

Kris Love the review. 'The Human Mind is an Attic' quote will remain in my attic-shaped mind forever. Also, is it just me who's a bit wary of watching Sherlock on TV before having read the books, thinking that it'll give away some detail which will ruin the plot when u finally read it? I have only seen one episode titled 'Pink' and when the word 'Rache' appeared in this book, I thought to myself that I already knew the plot beforehand. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised.

message 9: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Huybrechts You'll be pleasantly surprised when you watch the other episodes, the writers, while keeping so close to the book, take the plot to another outcome which keeps us all eager to watch this brilliant show.