Charlotte's Reviews > Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom

Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom by Emily Franklin

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, 2012-releases, march-2012-releases, netgalley, young-adult, arc
Read from March 10 to 12, 2012

I really, really enjoyed this story!

Heartwarming and real is the best way I can explain this story. I had different expectations for what I would find here than what I did, but I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

This was my first read in the gay/lesbian genre and if it's yours too I think you will find this to be a gentle step. This story actually revolves so much more around Lucas than I expected. Yes, there are alternating points of view, and while we experience Tessa coming out to Lucas and the world, this story really revolves around how Lucas deals with this information.

Lucas has a lot to deal with here too. Not only has his friend just come out to him, but she did it after he had the epiphany that he was in love with her. That she was 'the one'. He had some wounded pride and some hurt feelings that it took Tessa so long to be honest with him, and he had the town on a witch hunt after Tessa. I really loved the way Halpin and Franklin had Lucas work through this. There were moments toward the end that got a bit silly for me, but ultimately did not ruin the story. I was so giddy happy by then that those silly moments kind of fit right in with my mood.

So...kudos to Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin for tackling the friend's side of things here and doing it with grace and honesty.

An advanced copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher through Net Galley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom.

03/10/2012 page 39
15.0% "My heart is hurting for Luke because it really is hard to take a chance like he did. And my heart is hurting for Tessa because, yeah.... :("
03/12/2012 page 257
100.0% "I really, really enjoyed this book! Review up soon!"
show 2 hidden updates…