Tracy's Reviews > 21: Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions

21 by Ben Mezrich

Jul 06, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, own-it
Read in April, 2008

This bood reads like a suspense novel- an easy read, that I finished in one sitting. I have to admit, I was riveted, although the writing itself leaves something to be desired.
My husband's aunt used to be a dealer in Atlantic City so I've heard a lot of stories from her, but this book really opened my eyes to the gambling industry. The book made me NOT want to gamble and pretty much squelched what miniscule desire I had to visit Vegas anyway.
I could see how easily one could get caught up in that lifestyle. Even though what they were doing wasn't illegal, there were a lot of moral questions involved here, and if I was their parent I certainly would not have been "proud". And then to make more money from the writing (and I use this word loosely) of a book. They could have used their intelligence in more productive ways? Though I have to admit I did find myself rooting for them and I have absolutely no sympathy for the gaming industry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 21.