Nick Black's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Salman Rushdie

Jul 06, 08

bookshelves: own-might-read

Everything I've heard about this one is terrible. That being said, I got it for $3.95 in first-edition hardback at a Flying J's of all places. I guess those truckers like to get their late Rushdie on while they're gassing up?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin lol...now I can't get the mental image of a (classic stereotypical) trucker kicking back next to his truck throwing back some Rushdie while waiting on his speed hookup. This could keep me smiling all day.

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I refuse to believe that anything Rushdie writes could be terrible ;)

message 11: by Conrad (last edited Jul 06, 2008 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Conrad I rather liked this book - better than I liked Midnight's Children, and certainly better than anyone else I know did, anyway. It's a funny sort of roman a clef, with an even less carefully veiled polemical bent than in most of his books. There's a lot of bric-a-brac, little nifty ideas that could've (should've?) been expanded into a whole novel on their own. It's sort of a benignly messy survey of a place and time, like William Carlos Williams's long poems. Hope you like it, too, Nick.

message 10: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Black Perhaps not terrible on an absolute scale, but only terrible according to the standards we've set dear dear Mr. Rushdie.

If Midnight's Children doesn't take the Best of the Bookers, there's no justice. Not that I've read any of the other 5 shortlisted titles to compare, but I have a hard time imagining anything entitled "The Ghost Road" could be superior -- it sounds like one of those horrible spoken word interludes Warner Bros glued together to justify reissuing albums by the Doors.

message 9: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Black That actually sounds like a fine, fine read, or at least a taste I can sample without much investment up front. Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Rad; you've saved this one from exile to the Southern Pile.

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I thought Midnight's Children DID take Best of the Bookers?

message 7: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Black For a second I thought I'd deeply embarrassed myself, but it turns out it won "Booker of Bookers". Thus, the only people with cause for embarrassment are the unimaginative folks at BookerCo! Alliteration can only take you so far in life, guys!

message 5: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Black btw, for rushdie's best, children didn't beat the Verses in my mind...but neither of them really even compared to The Ground Beneath Her Feet, despite The Satanic Verses being very very good indeed.

message 4: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Black and now i have read all your rushdie reviewing, and we take very, very different approaches to the man, ms. taylor -- aside from sensible 5's for fine old sirs Farishta and Chamcha. To be born again, first you have to die! Ho ji! Ho ji! To land upon the busomy earth, first one needs to fly! ohhhhhh soooo glorious that one was; happy times.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Well, I've really only read three of his works - Satanic Verses, Ground Beneath Her Feet and Midnight's Children, which I'm reading now and nearly finished with. Why do you think we have different approaches?

message 2: by Conrad (last edited Jul 06, 2008 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Conrad I adored Satanic Verses, especially the world-weary but far from cynical prose in it, and the narrative voices were far, far less grating than in Midnight's Children. If I had to spend an hour in a train car with Saleem they'd have to find me another seat or bring a medic. The impulse to map one's personal history onto that of a nation or two I can understand, but Rushdie left out all the parts of Saleem that weren't self-pitying. I just don't get what everyone sees in it. Every person who likes that book surprises me.

Since I seem to be the only one here who hasn't read The Ground Beneath Her Feet, why's it so good?

message 1: by Taylor (last edited Jul 06, 2008 05:28PM) (new)

Taylor I honestly wasn't that crazy about Ground Beneath Her Feet. I didn't connect to the characters nearly as much as I have with his other characters. It felt a little watered down to me, to be honest, but then again, I read it right after Satanic Verses, so I don't think anything was going to seem nearly as good after that. In comparison to SV and MC, it's a lot less dense and complex. Not nearly as many characters, or as intricate a story-line. Which makes for easier reading, but I rather like Rushdie's ambitiousness. I didn't dislike it, I just didn't feel as strongly about it as I did about anything of his that I've read. But I'll probably go back and read it at some point to give it a better chance.