Reynje's Reviews > Playing Hurt

Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: e-book-kindle, not-for-me, read-2012, young-adult, dual-or-multiple-pov, contemp-or-realistic
Read from January 18 to 19, 2012

Blargh. Not my thing at all.

Books that deal with cheating and deception are not an instant turn off for me. I’ve read books where the subject is handled realistically and effectively. Unfortunately, I almost missed whatever the point of this story was intended to be because I was too distracted by being annoyed with the characters. I really disliked both of them, and found them incredibly disengaging to read about.

At a guess, I’d say the general theme of this novel was along the lines of “be brave and be true to yourself”, judging by the sports injuries as a metaphor thing running through it. And sure, I can roll with a story that deals with the fact that sometimes we hurt people we care about, and make poor choices. Unfortunately, this was not that story. This appears to be about two exceptionally selfish, immature people wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

Also, “chemistry” does not cut the mustard with me as an excuse for acting like a jerk. Period.

Mini-rant over.

Readers who enjoy briskly-paced, upper YA heavy on the romance aspect may get more out of this than I did. For me, it was a swing and a miss. (Obligatory sports pun).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Hurt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo I don't think I could take a love interest named "Clint" seriously. :-|

Sounds cute this, is it any good? :)

message 2: by Reynje (last edited Jan 19, 2012 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Reynje I just finished it and HERE LIES A MINI RANT:(view spoiler)

Okay, sorry about that.. :)

Noelle WORD, Reynje.

Reynje Noelle wrote: "WORD, Reynje."

Haha! I'm not even sure I can muster the energy to review this. It just made me so.. punchy and cross.

Noelle I think your spoiler comment summed it up perfectly.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo Your spoiler is all well and good and incredibly articulate.... but CLINT?!

:-|

Reynje Jo wrote: "Your spoiler is all well and good and incredibly articulate.... but CLINT?!

:-|"

Clint. Indeed :/

Aly (Fantasy4eva) oh no. I really did love ' A blue so dark.' what a shame :(

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Adorable review, I really like the style and feel of your short reviews! And please. Obligatory sports pun is welcome.

Sarah Yep. I had very similar feelings on this one. I also very very disappointed in the lack of depth in the sports aspects of the book.

Laura I’m sorry---I know I have said this before, but I love your reviews, Reynje! Thumbs up or down—you always make me giggle or just flat out take my breath away. This one made me giggle! Hehe….Love the pun! :D

Reynje Thank you Laura! Regardless of whether people share my opinion or not, I always try to write something interesting :) I'm glad I could made you laugh!