Tiffany's Reviews > Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers

Dec 29, 2013

bookshelves: fun, fantasy, kiddies, classics, reread
Read in October, 1988

I LOVED reading this book in elementary school. I seem to remember checking it out ALL THE TIME (whether I really did or not, I'm not sure. I could just be misremembering). The one I checked out (I always checked out the same copy) was a worn yellow hardback without a dustjacket (then again, in school libraries [especially elementary libraries], aren't they all without jackets?). I remember going to the library during recess just to check out this book.

After not reading this book for perhaps a decade, I went back to it a few years ago and was totally surprised by it. There are A LOT of differences between the book and the movie. The book version seemed much meaner than the movie did (of course, the story was Disneyized when it became a movie). So now I'm not so sure how I feel about the book, itself. I'll have to read it again to decide.

----------------------------------------

re-read Dec. 28, 2013:

I saw Saving Mr. Banks when it first came out, and then decided I needed to watch Mary Poppins again and re-read the book. I was a good girl and waited until I finished my previous book, then dove into Mary Poppins and read it in a day.

I still can't believe that Disney's Mary Poppins came from Travers' Mary Poppins. Aside from some characters names, a couple of details, and a few half-related incidents, the two are SO different. I always get a little jarred when I first read the nasty parts of Mary, since Julie Andrews was NOTHING like that! I have to work hard to separate Travers' description of the nanny and my vision of Disney's nanny.

Still, though, it's a fun book! Mary and Bert (but no kids) popping into sidewalk paintings, a magic compass taking Mary and the kids around the world, a magic bottle of medicine, a celestial child Christmas shopping, flavored fingers, nighttime at the zoo... So many extraordinary adventures!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Poppins.