Mimi Valentine's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Rating: 3.5 creepy-yet-gorgeous stars out of 5!

Dark. Dangerous. Lyrical. Tragic. Poe would be so proud of this book!

Set in a plagued city with danger around every corner, Masque of the Red Death is one of the most chilling yet captivating dystopians I've ever read. There's death wherever you turn; corpse collectors roam the dangerous streets. And everyone has to wear a porcelain mask outside to protect them from the plague, but only the rich can afford them.

Araby is such a heartbroken and heartbreaking character. With the guilt of her twin brother's death hanging over her, she refuses to let herself to be happy, to experience anything he won't. While my heart goes out to Araby for what she goes through, this makes is a little harder to connect with her. I had the same problem with most of the other characters. We only skimmed the surface when I felt like there was so much more beneath their masks.

The romance was twisted yet incredibly sweet — just like the two boys. There are secrets, sacrifices, and huge surprises you won't expect. Bethany Griffin knows how to write suspense! And even though I wish there was more of a punch to that build-up, it still left me craving to know how anything could possibly work out in this bleak world.

Deliciously dark and hauntingly beautiful, Masque of the Red Death sits up there with Kelly Creagh's Nevermore on my list of coolest Poe-inspired books! It wasn't as mind-blowing as I'd hoped, but it still stuck with me and I can't wait to read the next. :)

BUY or BORROW?: Edgar Allan Poe fans, get ready to empty your wallets! Don't let the rating fool you — this book is definitely worth the read! Am I the only one hoping this will be turned into a movie? x)

(Original review at Mimi Valentine's YA Review Blog)
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

Kaylee Magic POE!! <333343 This is one of those few books I pre-ordered without Mimi consent beforehand LOL -- because THAT COVER! And once again, POE! (which you totally need to read :P) Hope you love it!!!!

Marla I just finished. It was amazing! I had wondered how Poe's story would be adapted into a novel. Now I get it and think she did a fantastic job.

message 3: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit Happy reading Mimi! I really hope you love this one! :)

Mimi Valentine @Kaylee: LOL!!! I'm so bad for your wallet, Kay <3 By the way, your mom emailed me the other day saying that she didn't know whether or not me getting you to read was a good thing or not... x)

@Marla: Oohhhhh, I'm super happy you liked it, Marla! There are a ton of mixed feelings about it across the blogosphere, so I can't wait to read your thoughts on it (and the boys) too! :)

@Kathe: I love how much you know about the Black Death already -- that means you'll be fully prepared for the devastation you can feel from the characters because of it. It's such a cool concept! I really think you'll like it, Kathe! No problem :)

Mimi Valentine @Jasprit: Thanks so much, Jasprit! The beginning is sort of strange, but I'm actually really enjoying it now that I've started to get into the good stuff. I hope it doesn't let down! x)

Kaylee Magic OMG NO WAY. Mom did NOT!! O_O

Mimi Valentine She did too!! x) I'll forward the email to you, if you want it LOL, but she wasn't being creepy or anything so no worries -- you know I love your mom <3

Kaylee Magic She didn't even try to deny it.. o_e why is my mom so tech savvy??

Mimi Valentine Because she's awesome and cool and works for a tech company? x)

Kaylee Magic Touche :P <333

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine *poke* :') Let me know when you get this and we'll debate about it! <3

message 12: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine That's exactly it, Sam!! Everything was supposed to intense and awesome and insanely chaotic... but then it just stopped. I guess the author is saving the epic showdown for later on in the series, but it would've been cooler to see some super-climax in this book too, you know? :)

Thanks so much, Sam -- it should be up early next week!

Wendy Darling It does feel like the book stopped just as things were getting really interesting! But fortunately there's just one sequel, so we won't have to wait 2 years for the story to get wrapped up. Look forward to your review, Mimi!

message 14: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Just one sequel? I'm both happy and not at the same time LOL! Because as much as some parts were frustrating, I still really loved the idea of it :') And I'm glad you did too, Wen! My review should be up on Tuesday <3

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Thanks, Kathe! :) Don't be fooled by my 3.5 stars (which I think I might be raising to 4 when I write my review) -- this was a really great book, and I hope you like it when you have the chance to read it!

message 16: by Jasprit (last edited Apr 24, 2012 06:33AM) (new) - added it

Jasprit Wonderful review Mimi, seriously I need to keep a more watchful eye on NetGalley and Edelweiss all the good ones seem to be passing me by! :( Can't wait to read this!

message 17: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine You should definitely keep an eye out for this book, J -- it was a great book! :) And everyone keeps talking about Edelweiss but I still have no idea what it is! Is it sort of like Netgalley? Haha I'm a little slow.. x)

♥Rachel♥ Great review Mimi. Even though it took me a little bit to get into it, I enjoyed this one as well. Are you a Will girl or did Elliot do it for you?

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Thanks, Rachel! :) For the first three quarters, I was definitely Team Will! <3 But closer to the end, I wasn't really so sure anymore... Elliot was starting to be sweeter and, well, you know LOL! x)

♥Rachel♥ Same here, Mimi. I don't know who to pick and after (view spoiler)

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine (view spoiler)

Rebecca This looks really cool, Mimi! I'm getting it soon. But what genre is it set in? Paranormal?

message 23: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine I thought it was paranormal at first too, but it's actually a little hard to pin down! It's part dystopian, part post-apocalyptic, and part sci-fi (ish), I think? LOL there's a really dark plague, but it's not like werewolves and vamps and stuff x)

Rebecca Oh! Well, the cover screams SUPERNATURAL! Lol. So deceiving.

message 25: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine It totally is, but if the designers were going for gorgeous, they definitely hit the mark! ;) Deceivingly gorgeous covers are kinda common these days haha

Rebecca Have to agree with that. First person present tense usually drives me crazy, but it actually fits this book pretty well so far.

message 27: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine You're reading it right now? Yay, that's awesome! I can't wait to read what you think of it -- I thought it was pretty great but I still hope you like it more than me. I've actually started to get kinda used to the first person present tense thing because people use it so much now LOL x) It's like the new past tense!

Rebecca I know, right? Well, I can usually get used to writing being a certain way. The crossed out bits in Shatter Me, for example, used to drive me nuts. But now I love it. I'm really liking The Masque Of The Red Death so far, it's pretty interesting. Not getting a five-star vibe from it, but we'll see. :)

message 29: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine I felt the same way with Shatter Me! I didn't think I'd like it because of the crossed out sentences and stuff, but I really actually DID, and I'm dying for the sequel x) (TEAM ADAM!) I can't wait until you finish Masque so we can compare notes. I wasn't able to give it five stars for lack of connection either, but it IS an interesting book! :)

Rebecca Well, I'm only about a quarter into it, but I'll get through. Araby is a bit distant.

(GO ADAM! <3)

message 31: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine That's the main reason why I was bugged by this! I felt so bad for her, but at the same time... I didn't. You know? Haha :') <3

Rebecca Yep, I know the feeling. ;)

message 33: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Glad to know it isn't just me x)