Joanna Cabot's Reviews > The Rotation Diet

U 50x66
Jul 25, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, self-help, healthy-eating
Read in January, 2012

Purchased this book in a Kindle edition after browsing it in a store. The book has an intriguing premise: a commitment of just three weeks, cycling your calories every few days or so from very low to only somewhat low, not including fruits and vegetables. He suggests an alternative for people who hate counting or tracking: just cut out the crap for three weeks and only eat fruits or vegetables for snacks. Very doable!

The low calorie limit is mitigated somewhat by the free reign you get on produce, and there is no doubt some sacrifice is asked for. But since it's meant to last just three weeks, I am more inclined to give it a go. He has some very good chapters in there addressing issues such as exercise (he recommends you do whatever you want as long as you aim to burn 200 calories a day), eating in restaurants and transitioning to maintenance. He also cogently addressed water weight and why it's possible to eat a pickle and 'gain' two pounds. I have never had this explained to me before and I found it useful information.

There is a bonus calorie chart listing the info for various foods, and it, like the rest of the book, was decently formatted when viewed on my Kindle for iPad app. There were so typographical or editing mistakes that I could see in this Kindle edition. However, the index was not hyperlinked and was pretty much a copy of the print edition complete with page numbers. If you wanted to look for a certain recipe, you'd have to use your reader's search function. I really feel that ebook editions for books which contain recipes out to hyperlink them in the index, so the book lost a few points with me for that. But given that the rest of the book was formatted reasonably well and was free from obvious errors, I am cutting them slack on that.

4/5 stars for now because this seems like it will be a useful book for me and I liked some of the information he included on how the body handles certain foods, some of which was new to me. If I actually do the diet and fail abysmally, I will come back and downgrade my rating accordingly :) Alternately, if I am very successful beyond my wildest dreams, I'll come back and give it the extra star.

Still, a book with recipes really ought to have a hyperlinked index...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rotation Diet.