Eileen's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Jan 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult
Read in November, 2011

First of all, this cover is the thing that made me read this book. If it weren't for this awesome cover, I would've never got this book from the library. But it does have an awesome cover, and so I had to read it. And let me tell you one thing, I was not disappointed. Not in the slightest.

This book is about how Tempest decides to go back into the ocean, to save Kai—hello, Goodreads, the name is Kona for crying out loud!—when he gets pulled into the ocean by these shadows who are really his brothers. I really liked how Tempest just seemed to jump in the water for him, mainly because she would do anything for those she cared about. That's what I really love in a heroine. Someone that will risk their own lives to ensure others' safety.

The writing was good, the setting was good, the action was good, the characters were good, the romance was pretty good, so why the four-point-five rating, you ask? I just felt that in the beginning, Tempest kept droning on about how Mark was so possessive and it was pissing her off, when in reality, what kind of boyfriend doesn't ask his girlfriend if she's okay after nearly drowning to death during a surf session?

Mark actually just seemed there, but he wasn't really vital to the plot. Any other supporting character could have played his role, so that was really my problem. I felt that the author just wanted a love triangle in there, but it wasn't much of a strong love triangle. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for love triangles, but I want the two guys to at least play an important part in the story if one guy doesn't end up with the girl. In this book, that didn't happen. It was like the spotlight was directed solely on Kona.

I can't wait to read the next book, which is coming out this year, and I've also added it in to be a book that I'm reading in the Sophomore Reading Challenge. Let's see how that turns out. It's called Tempest Unleashed, by the way. I think that this book overall was really good, except for the fact of Mark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.