Delphina's Reviews > Blood Warrior

Blood Warrior by H.D. Gordon

Jan 23, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

I really, truly struggled with whether or not this book deserved a three or a four.

On the three side was the beginning. It was well written and really sucked you in, but the premise bugged me. She lived this life of abuse (I can think of no other term for it) in total darkness of why she was being treated the way she was even though her baby sister knew. I really think she could have at least been told most of the truth and still had the story arc be effective. The way it is set up, I had a difficult time believing she had the feeling for her sister that she had.

On the four side, once I let this go the story was really amazing. It had many amazing elements. The lore was different, giving it a fresh feel. The story flowed well and I really wanted to keep reading even when my eyes were telling me to go to bed. The ending was a cliff hanger and I will be waiting for the next one. I think this is one of those series that just keeps getting better. The characters were varied and there was enough mystery to keep me hooked.

In the end, three won out because I could not get past the beginning. I think it is the former teacher in me.

I was given an arc for review, so I can not comment on final editing. In the copy I read it seemed strong and the formatting worked well with my kindle.

I would feel comfortable letting teens read this book with the understanding that a conversation about the beginning may be in order.

delphinareadstoomuch.blogspot.com
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Warrior.