Kavanand's Reviews > The Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

Jan 18, 12

Read in January, 2012

The Gathering Storm requires some major suspension of disbelief on the part of the reader. But if you can get on board with that, it's an enjoyable read.

It's the story of a Russian duchess, Katerina of Oldenburg (shouldn’t that be Ekaterina if she’s Russian?). She's related to the imperial family, and she leads a luxurious life in pre-revolutionary Russia. She's not your average royal--she wants nothing more than to be allowed to go to medical school. Oh, and she can raise the dead, a fact she tries to keep hidden from her family and friends. It’s not a talent she wants, but it’s something that makes her valuable to various supernatural factions.

In this version of imperial Russia, the members of the aristocracy are aligned with either the Light or Dark faerie courts. The empress is a Light court faerie, and her rival and sister-in-law the Grand Duchess Miechen is a Dark court faerie. There are also witches, the walking dead, and rivals groups of vampires. Katerina’s necromancer abilities put her right in the middle of a lot of supernatural action and in the middle of a love triangle. She’s caught between the Tsar’s son Grand Duke George, who’s disturbed by her abilities but can’t seem to stay away from her, and Crown Prince Danilo of Montenegro, who may have less than noble motives for pursuing her.

Although I had some issues with it, I ended up enjoying The Gathering Storm for the most part. The plot was absorbing and fast moving and I was very caught up in the story. At times, I found it hard to keep track of the many supernatural factions. Some of the supernatural elements were better developed than others, and the less developed parts could be a bit confusing. I also wanted Katerina to be less passive. She spends a lot of time waiting around for someone to save her. As the story moves along, she begins to show more backbone, but I wished she had been less helpless right from the start. These quibbles aside, I liked this book and I’m looking forward to the sequel. It didn’t quite reach 4 stars for me, more like 3.5.

I received an ARC of this book from Amazon Vine.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering Storm.