Stephanie Dinnen-Reini's Reviews > A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature

A Family of Readers by Roger Sutton

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

I'm an avid reader and it is important to me to instill that impression on my 3-year-old son. The book is less a how to, and more a how not to, including lists of "approved" books by some of the biggest names in children's literature review. The recommended reading is broken down by age and then for older children by gender and subject (e.g., science reads, historical reads). Some of your own childhood reads may be given the boot, Berenstein bears for instance are black listed.

All in all, I found it an interesting guide and I picked up a few tips (I'm buying for my son a complete Mother Goose collection), however there are so many children's books these days its nearly impossible to address even 1% of what is out there in one book and inevitably, at the rate in which books are published it becomes out of date relatively quickly. But the principles given by the authors are good, namely, how to judge the quality of a children's book (even a picture book!) and a very charming 10 ways not raise a reader list.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Family of Readers.