Chris's Reviews > Hexed

Hexed by Kevin Hearne

Jan 19, 12

Read from January 18 to 19, 2012

A fairly decent read, although like I said when I wrote about Hounded, not the deepest piece of literature you could ever pick up. It's fun, the characterization of Atticus and his little band of modern fantasy adaptations has deepened in the second novel, and the plot has definitely strengthened- this book clearly sets up the third one nicely.

My only major complaint remains the same from the first book; some of the nerd references and quotations seem a bit forced, but honestly, it becomes much less of an issue over time. The characters and the story have come a bit more into their own here, and the idea of Atticus as being this ancient yet adaptable entity is written with a somewhat refreshing tone. Those few places in the book where the 'happy-go-lucky, nerdy twenty one year old' mask is dropped and the actual personality of a 2000 year old druid shines through are fairly memorable, and show some strength of the writing that might get buried under cliches and hippy jokes.

Like the other stuff I've read of Hearne, I'd say this definitely deserves a read- it's a very fun, if not unique take on urban fantasy, and an interesting cast of characters (Oberon, especially) will keep your attention through a light and enjoyable read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexed.