Rachel's Reviews > Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College

Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov

Jan 18, 12

Read in December, 2011

Some useful stuff for a college teacher.
I'm not the target audience (I teach art at a community college), but I found some useful stuff in the first 40% of the book. (I obviously read the kindle edition.)
This is aimed at k12 teachers (mostly upper elementary). It is basically a series of tips/techniques for teachers based on studying the techniques and practices of really successful teachers (at his schools). There is also some interesting talk about why technique is important as a supplement to a teachers philosophy--he's giving little tricks, not teaching you how to deliver material or plan your curriculum.
If you've been teaching for a while, he will probably also describe some thing you already do and talk a bit about why they are useful.
If you don't teach in upper elementary, I wouldn't bother with the last half of the book, but, like I said ,I found some of stuff useful.
I've implemented the "Do now" assignments that he recommends for passing periods between classes. I 've started putting something on the board before class starts to both encourage students to be there on time/early and to give those students who are their some practice/review.
I also made a point of rearranging desks for class discussion/lecture--something I've overlooked in the past. I share classrooms and often just use them as they are when I arrive. The book encouraged me to take the extra time to adjust desks.
This won't change your teaching overall, but it might help you polish and improve your technique.
if you teach a different level, you might just need to make some minor adjustments to make these work for your situation.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like a Champion.