Samantha's Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

This series and I have a love/hate relationship. The world Cole has built for these books is pretty impressive and I love her mythology. However, the relationships in these stories are either a hit or miss for me. Because of that, I was going to put off buying Lothaire until it came out in paperback, but after reading so many rave reviews I decided to take a chance and spring for the hardcover version. Unfortunately, I ended up not enjoying this as much as everyone else.

Lothaire has found his Bride, the woman who brings his body back to life and is his destined mate. The problem is that two souls currently inhabit his Bride’s body. One is an evil goddess who lives for blood, violence, and all around nefarious deeds. The other is Ellie, a mortal hillbilly who is content to live-out life on her family’s land. Naturally, Lothaire assumes that his Bride is the evil goddess and begins planning a way to exterminate Ellie’s soul.

After waking up covered in other people’s blood, Ellie decides that the only way to stop the goddess from murdering is to kill the body they share. The problem with this plan is that every time Ellie devises a way to kill herself, Lothaire seems to know and pops-up out of nowhere to stop her. After one close call, Lothaire decides that the safest place to keep an eye on Ellie is close by. With this in mind, Lothaire hauls Ellie off to his penthouse in New York where she'll be prisoner until he discovers a way to kill her soul.

So, this story basically ranks up there with the first book in the series for me. Meaning, I just could not stand how the relationship between Ellie and Lothaire played out. One of my biggest problems stems from the fact that I don’t usually enjoy stories where the heroine is taken captive by the hero and they fall in love. It typically ends up smacking too much of Stockholm syndrome for me. Despite that, I’ve read a couple captive heroine stories that I’ve enjoyed. This… was not one of those.

After taking Ellie prisoner, Lothaire immediately begins emotionally torturing her. He mocks, he sneers, he threatens her family, he laughs, they boink, he mocks, he has a violent episode, he sneers, and so on. While this is happening, Lothaire is still hunting for a ring to kill Ellie’s soul. Eventually, he begins to realize that Ellie might actually be his Bride, which leads to a few tiny scenes where Lothaire regrets how he’s treated her. However, these moments are over in the blink of an eye and Lothaire immediately goes back to being a douche. So, by the end of the book, I hated his ass. I was actually hoping that Ellie would run off with Thad. Yeah, Lothaire had some really awful moments in his life and at first I did feel sympathy for what he went through, but as the story progressed (and he just kept getting worse) that sympathy died. He was horrendous to Ellie and he never atoned for his actions. Yes, in the final ten pages he finally comes around, but after 300 pages of him being a total dickhead I needed a hell of a lot more from him than what we got.

The saving grace for this book was Cole’s writing style and the heroine, Ellie. As I said before, I love Cole’s use of mythology in this series. I also give her huge kudos for writing these books as if all each book is happening at the same time, or almost right on top of each other. I imagine that takes some serious effort. However, the reason why I kept reading the book was for Ellie. Yes, she annoyed me at times with the constant back and forth about her emotions, but she had serious backbone. Ellie knows how to take care of herself. While Ellie is captive she's constantly scheming ways to get out and goes toe-to-toe with Lothaire quite a bit; I loved that she never backed down. By the end of the novel, I knew why Lothaire would develop feelings for Ellie, but I wish we could’ve seen more reasons why Ellie would have feelings for Lothaire.

I would recommend this to fans of the series who have read quite a few of the other Immortals After Dark books. However, if you haven't read any of the other novels in this series, I would not start with this one. I think Lothaire requires more background knowledge from the other books to really appreciate and understand all the events happening in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/20/2012 page 2
0.0% "Jumping on the bandwagon"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana im a fan girl so this getting less than 4 stars was probably impossible for me. However, I have to agree. A glaring problem i found was i COULD not fathom why Ellie liked or even Loved lothaire. this book also felt rushed at the end. it needed another 50 or so pages of Lothaire being amazing for me to really understand the coupling ya know!

Samantha Tai the Lioness wrote: "im a fan girl so this getting less than 4 stars was probably impossible for me. However, I have to agree. A glaring problem i found was i COULD not fathom why Ellie liked or even Loved lothaire. th..."

I know! It felt like Cole was using most of the book to justify Lothaire's falling in love and trying to make that believable while maintaining his evilness. Unfortunately, she ended up doing that at the expense of showing why Ellie would fall for Lothaire. And yeah, the ending did felt rushed. That whole coal mining thing felt very deus ex machina.