Lindley Walter-smith's Reviews > The N00b Warriors

The N00b Warriors by Scott Douglas

Jan 18, 2012

liked it

This book has some really original, gripping ideas and can be very absorbing. What let it down, however, was the flatness of the characters, and of their emotional responses - even given the trauma of being children thrown into war, their emotional responses didn't feel convincing, and so it was harder and harder to care what happened to them. The relentless violence, too, happens in quite a distanced way, and becoming wearing. It becomes harder than it should be to remain engaged with the characters and what is happening to them.

Still, with all that said, I read through it quickly and compulsively, and I will definitely read the sequel to find out where this plot is going. It's creative and definitely interesting, and the concept is fascinating. I particularly enjoyed the blog posts that initially fostered the war, and the bizarre commercialisation of all the child killing and destruction. I have a weakness for dystopian YA fic, after all, and so much respect for self-published authors who keep the faith in their vision and creativity amnd make it available despite the publishing industry - and I think this was a tale worth sharing. Kudos to the author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The N00b Warriors.