Gretchen's Reviews > Believing the Lie

Believing the Lie by Elizabeth  George

F_50x66
Jan 18, 12

Read in January, 2012

This one long, long book. We have a few old old friends. Barbara Havers is there.Deborah and Simon St. James are there.For no very clear reason But moslly we have a ton of newbies. Including two children, one of which is terribly troubled, and you have to wonder, since the book is so long, is this really necessay?
If you can call it a mystery, Lynley is asked to investigate the death of relative of a bathroom fixtures mogul. He drags Simon and Deborah St. John with him and leaves Isabelle Ardery in the dust. This is supposed th be on the q.t., but begins to leak out with a few misunderstandings. Meantime a plethora of characters begin to enter the story and take off with it. The story isn't that interesting, but George keeps it going, with her careful writing. (After all she only turns out one every 18 months(no one a year for her) Even so there have been 16 preceding this one,and it must be tempting to kill offa happy marriage and baby makes three and
Insert an unlpeasant character, whom we can't wait to see the last of. The question remains, even if we love the writer, is all this stuff with the personal life really necessary to make a good mystery?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Believing the Lie.