Janet's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: first-read, biography-memoir
Read from February 13 to March 01, 2012

I have just received my GoodReads first reads ARC! Thank you!

So far the chapters on "stuff," " next of kin," and "girlfriends," rings true.

As a contemporary of this author, I am finding this memoir thought-provoking. The chapters are brief. I am enjoying reading this at a slow pace, just 1 or 2 chapters at a time.

I can relate easily to the author's experience with growing up at a time when women's roles were changing rapidly. As I continued through the book, I became more refecltive, especially in the chapters where the auhtor describes her current life and how she envisions her life as she grows older.

Although the author and I have very similar religious backgrounds, I would say that my current beliefs and perspectives on faith are quite different from what the author describes at this point in her life.

I would recommend this book especially to women who are baby boomers. In many respects reading this book has been a fun and pleasant trip down memory lane. However, it is not what I would describe as a fluff book, by any means. It is an excellent starting point for further reflection or discussion within a book club setting.

Thank you for offering me the chance to read this book prior to publication.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.

02/15 page 30