Janet's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: first-read, biography-memoir, read-in-2012
Read from February 13 to March 01, 2012

I have just received my GoodReads first reads ARC! Thank you!

So far the chapters on "stuff," " next of kin," and "girlfriends," rings true.

As a contemporary of this author, I am finding this memoir thought-provoking. The chapters are brief. I am enjoying reading this at a slow pace, just 1 or 2 chapters at a time.

I can relate easily to the author's experience with growing up at a time when women's roles were changing rapidly. As I continued through the book, I became more refecltive, especially in the chapters where the auhtor describes her current life and how she envisions her life as she grows older.

Although the author and I have very similar religious backgrounds, I would say that my current beliefs and perspectives on faith are quite different from what the author describes at this point in her life.

I would recommend this book especially to women who are baby boomers. In many respects reading this book has been a fun and pleasant trip down memory lane. However, it is not what I would describe as a fluff book, by any means. It is an excellent starting point for further reflection or discussion within a book club setting.

Thank you for offering me the chance to read this book prior to publication.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.

02/15/2012 page 30